10 Steps to a Stronger Heart
Updated: Jun 12
1. Upgrade your Omega 3 - eat fish and/or take a fish oil supplement from the SMASH group (sardines, mackerel, anchovies, salmon, and herring) to get the most omega 3 per serving. The omega-3s in fish lower heart rate and blood pressure, and they improve the health of blood vessels.
2. Read labels - your heart is looking for "no trans fats" "low sodium" and "high fibre".
3. Quit smoking - within 1 year your risk of dying from smoke-related heart disease is cut in half. Second hand smoke increases your chance of heart disease by 30%.
4. Flex your heart muscle - 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week will keep your heart fit and strong. Even speedy 10 minute bouts count toward that total.
5. Measure your middle - if your midsection creeps over 35" (32" if you have a small frame) you're at risk of developing heart disease.
6. Amp up vitamin D - Health Canada recommends EVERY Canadian take a supplement and deficiency has been linked to increased heart disease risk. Even though it’s summertime, sunscreen and older age prevent vitamin D synthesis from the sun.
7. Get adequate sleep - sleep deprivation increases blood pressure, elevates obesity and diabetes risk...all which contribute to heart disease. Aim for 7-9 hours a night. Naps count too!
8. Minimize processed meats - the link between these foods and heart disease has been well established.
9. Brush up on your oils - olive oil is chock full of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids but it produces harmful free radicals if heated too much...save it for salads and use grapeseed or canola oil for cooking.
10. Supplement with CoEnzyme Q10 - if you are older, or take a statin medication to lower cholesterol then your Q10 levels are low. Q10 has been shown to improve symptoms of congestive heart failure, reduce blood pressure, and aid in the recovery from heart surgery as well as minimize statin induced muscle weakness.
MAY PROMOTION: Purchase CanPrev’s high quality Omega 3 supplement ($20/90capsules) or CanPrev’s CoEnzyme Q10 ($25/60 capsules) and receive a bottle of Vitamin D drops (450drops/1000UI) for $5…that’s a $10 savings!
*Offer ends May 31,2018*